The AAMS’ Humanitarian Contributions to the Artsakh War
Dear AAMS Supporter,
Since the first shots were fired in the Artsakh war on September 27, 2020, the Armenian American Medical Society (AAMS) has been fully engaged in assisting our country with the healthcare needs that was created as a result of this aggression. To date, our organization has undertaken the following actions:
- Raised more than $800,000 to support the medical needs of our troops during our fundraiser on October 4, 2020
- Worked side-by-side with the Ministry of Health to determine the highest priority needs
- Procured equipment, medication, and supplies to meet the above needs
- Collaborated with Armenian Medical International Committee (AMIC) and Armenia Fund in an integrated effort to provide maximum support to Artsakh and Armenia
- Connected physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals with the Ministry of Health to deliver medical care in Artsakh and Armenia
- Lodging was provided to our medical volunteers in Armenia courtesy of a friend of the AAMS
- Purchased four Utility Task Vehicles (UTV) which are fast, nimble vehicles used to retrieve injured soldiers in the field
As it stands today, we are collaborating with other organizations in a continued effort to acquire all necessary provisions to aid in the medical care of our troops and civilians affected by the violence. Members of the AAMS and their families and friends are working together to take inventory, pack and palletize medical supplies at a local warehouse in preparation for shipment to Armenia.
The war may be coming to a close, but our job is only beginning. We need to sustain our efforts to ensure soldiers and civilians in Armenia continue to receive the necessary medical care to recover from this devastation. Exacerbating an already difficult situation, the city of Stepanakert has been evacuated, sending refugees into Armenia. This influx has made the need for more medicine of vital importance. The AAMS will be shipping out 500 pallets of medicine and supplies in the coming weeks to help remediate these shortages.
To continue our humanitarian efforts, we are holding various fundraising activities throughout the immediate future. Be on the lookout for future communications regarding these activities. To make an immediate donation, please visit our website.
The AAMS is deeply indebted to you, our members and community, for your support. You have answered the call of your homeland with enthusiasm, determination, and an unwavering commitment. Throughout these turbulent days — 43 in all — your response has been a beacon of hope. I am so proud to be a part of this organization and this global community.
I think it is fitting to end with the words of Yeghishe Charents, “Oh, Armenian people, your only salvation lies in the power of your unity.” We have shown the world what can be achieved when we stand in unity. I know we will achieve great things as we continue to stand in unity for a stronger Armenia.
With much appreciation,
Kevin G. Galstyan, MD, FACOG